It is important to follow the instructions below to speed healing. Note that some discomfort and swelling are normal after surgery.
Day of surgery
- Keep the compresses in your mouth for 20 to 30 minutes, applying firm pressure. Change the pads every half hour, as needed.
- Keep your head elevated at all times.
- Apply ice to your cheek at regular intervals (20 minutes of ice every hour).
- If bleeding occurs, bite down on a gauze pad or lightly moistened tea bag for 20 minutes.
- Bleeding and coloured saliva are normal postoperative effects.
- Limit your physical activity. Rest.
- Don’t dislodge the blood clot that has formed as it helps with the healing process.
- Don’t eat anything before the bleeding stops.
- Don’t drink through a straw.
- Don’t rinse your mouth or spit.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol.
- Don’t eat hard foods.
- Don’t brush near the area of the extracted tooth for the first 72 hours.
The day after until full healing
- Rinse your mouth three times a day with a warm salt water solution (2 ml or ½ tsp of salt in 250 ml or 1 cup of water).
- Brush your teeth and floss daily to remove plaque and ensure the best long-term results. Don’t brush near the area of the extracted tooth for the first 72 hours.
- Avoid hard foods (nuts, candy, ice).
- You may have trouble speaking and produce extra saliva. This should subside in a week.
- There may be some bruising on the skin. This will disappear in five to seven days.
- You may have trouble opening your mouth. This should diminish in four to five days.
- If the pain increases after three days, call our office.
- If the pain causes you discomfort, take the medication you were prescribed.
- If you were prescribed antibiotics for this treatment, continue to take them for the specified time period even if the symptoms are gone.
- Eat only soft foods or lukewarm liquids the day of the extraction. Resume your normal eating habits as soon as you are able.
You will feel better after a few days and can resume your normal activities. If you experience heavy bleeding, pain, continued swelling for two to three days or a negative reaction to the medication, call us at 450 461-9696.
We accept new patients
Come meet us for a first appointment.
It would be our pleasure to serve you.